Monday, September 21, 2009

Inspiration of the Indian Children

It's raining on the ridge
where the Indian children used to play.
They're no longer here,
drug away in the Trail of Tears
but their energy still remains
and when the Tears of God fall
upon that lonely ridge
you can hear the whispers
of those Indian children
as they inspire you to play,
your fingers lightly strumming
the strings of your guitar
or the strings of my heart,
and they inspire me to write
the poetry of my heart.
I regret that those Indian children
couldn't inspire us to write
a love song of our own.
Now I no longer hear the whispers
of the Indian children on the ridge
but their inspiration lives on
in the singing of my heart.

Copyright © 2009 by Shawn Murray

3 comments:

benbradley said...

This mural inspired by the Trail of Tears is a short walk from my office:
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM228B_Trail_of_Tears_The_Trail_Where_They_Cried_Jasper_GA

benbradley said...

The link doesn't look right. If it doesn't work, try this one:
http://tinyurl.com/nt646r

smshorty said...

Wow, very heartfelt and touching. Lovely.