Friday, April 1, 2011

Semblance of Normal

I've never been normal
not even for normal's sake
 forty-something female
 never married, no kids
people wonder what is wrong with me
even I, at times, think there's a screw loose
 but just what is normal anyway?

I spend my time doing what I love
crafting words into sentences, or sentences into poems
 maybe, maybe not, so eloquently, at times
 and maybe this is not one of those times
but at least I'm trying -- or doing -- or being
who and what I want to be
 but just who is normal anyway?

you may pity me -- or despise me
for my seeming lack of commitment
 I try to minimize my time constraints
 but even I still have bills to pay
maybe soon -- maybe someday
writing will nourish more than my soul
 why is your life normal, who can say?

by Shawn Ann Murray © 2011

No comments: